Does my spouse have to sign my deeds in the State of North Carolina?

February 13, 2018 | Cecil Harvell

Yes.  In the State of North Carolina, the joinder of a spouse is required to pass clear title.  The exception to this rule would be if there is a free trader or pre nuptial agreement.

Yes, we all understand that the title into our spouse may have been inherited property or even property bought by the spouse before the marriage.  Notwithstanding, due to estate rights in the estate of a spouse, the signature of the spouse is needed when the property is sold or mortgaged.

If there are any questions relative to these deed conveyances, please do not hesistate to contact your lawyer.

Cecil S. Harvell - Elite Lawyer 2021
About the Author
Cecil S. Harvell is AV Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated in the areas of Trusts and Estates, General Practice, and Aged and Aging. Mr. Harvell is a native of Morehead City, North Carolina and was admitted to the Georgia State Bar in 1983 and admitted to the North Carolina State Bar in 1987. Read More
Let's Talk Legal
See How Our Team Can Help You